Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Visit New Bern and you will never forget us!

I have lived in New Bern for 34 years. I was born here, and I will be buried here. This is a great town and we are starting to get a lot of tourists now that want to visit the friendly small town that has the best people in the world. We all know that New Bern is not a busy tourist area, but ironically, that is what most people want on their vacation. Walking downtown in the evenings, dining in the best restaurants, or shopping in our antique and gift shops, you will fall in love with our town. I have known that New Bern was special for my entire life, and it just makes me feel great when other people discover this gem. New Bern is the home of Tryon Palace, Pepsi Cola, and Nicholas Sparks lives here and writes his novels here! New Bern has just had an addition of another bed and breakfast and a downtown rental house that a family can rent during their visit. My wife and I love meeting the wonderful people that come to visit and the other day we saw a man taking photos of Pollck Street Deli, I couldnt help but say hello and told us he was photographing all of the things in New Bern that were in Nicholas Sparks novels because his daughter had never been to New Bern and she was his biggest fan. This town is really starting to get discovered as the great town it has always been. Please consider New Bern as a destination for your family or getaway with a loved one, you will see why we love it!



Visit New Bern and you will never forget us!


I am in full agreement with you. I used to travel to New Bern once a month on business. At first, I stayed at some of the hotels and then I learned that the bed and breakfast inns would match the business rates for the waterfront hotels. My first and final choice, was the Aerrie Inn. I stayed there every month for about two years and I have been back once with the family since then. The rooms are all very nicely appointed and comfortable. I think I%26#39;ve stayed in every one of them at some time or another and was always able to relax. The breakfasts were wonderful and so large I usually was able to skip lunch. The owners, at that time Doug and Donna, even offered me breakfast 30 minutes earlier than normal so that I could get to work early. I love walking downtown New Bern and even felt safe in the early evening. My favorite restaurant, back then was The Chelsea. I remember one night, after I had just taken my seat, I was asked to relocate to the next table over so that mine could be combined with another for a larger party. I was dining alone and of course saw this as no problem. The chef came out to thank me and offered me a free dessert. Wow, that%26#39;s great service and the dessert was absolutely to die for! Downtown New Bern is one of the most quaint and comfortable places that I have ever visited. I could definitely imagine living there. It reminds me of the area where my grandmother lived when I was a little girl. She walked everywhere she went and never had a driver%26#39;s license. I used to dream of that kind of neightborhood. Unfortunately, that downtown area has since dwindled away and is slowly being revived. New Bern is much nicer. Enjoy what you have and thanks for sharing it with us!





Visit New Bern and you will never forget us!


Hello Jominator,



My husband and I are here in New Bern for Christmas week. Do you know of any restaurants open for Christmas Dinner/lunch??



Thank you so much,



Lori




We%26#39;re vacationing in Atlantic Beach for two weeks in August. My husband will be 50 next year and we%26#39;re starting to plan vacations around where we might like to retire.





One thing my husband and I want to do is take a look around New Bern and perhaps find a realtor that would show us some of the neighborhoods.




cinbad,



When I moved to New Bern 6 years ago, New Bern Realty was wonderful. The agent (Pete Mallard) showed us all around New Bern and told us a little about the history of the area.





Good luck! I love living in New Bern.




Hi, can you tell me a little about health care in New Bern? How would you rate your hospitals? Do they cover all major issues or do you have to travel to a larger city for things like cardiac, cancer or other big issue treatments?




Healthcare in New Bern is getting better, as it is becoming a big retirement community. There is a decent hospital here. However for major treatments, I go to Greenville, which is only 45 min. away. It is a much larger hospital and is affiliated with ECU.





Hope this answers some of your questions.




We have been to New Bern several times over the last 5 years, but never actually stayed there. We are looking for a hotel close to downtown, so we can walk for dinner etc. We will be coming in from The Outerbanks. B%26amp;B are out, my husband will not consider that. Thanks.




It%26#39;s a shame your husband won%26#39;t consider a B%26amp;B as New Bern has some real nice ones downtown.



As far as a hotel close to downtown I recommend the Comfort Inn and Suites. New Bern does not really have a lot of upscale hotels, as it is more of a B%26amp;B town. Also downtown is the Sheraton but it gets a lot of mixed reviews.




We will be staying at Waterwood Townhouses the end of the month. Your post made me laugh because the easiest way to convince my 18 year old daughter to come along with us was to tell her we were going to the town ';Where Nicholas Sparks lives!!!'; SHE is his biggest fan, I think :)




While living in Fayetteville, we took a Christmas trip to New Bern to see the Christmas flotilla and it was a wondeful experience. We toured the Governors Mansion and were impressed by the re-enactors. New Bern is a wonderful day trip and a great place to experience NC hospitality.


  • everyday eyeshadow
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment