Tuesday, April 24, 2012

North Carolina vacation

My husband has to go to Raleigh to do an exam and we though we can extend a few days for vacation.



There is a direct flight to Charlotte from Dublin or several stop over flights to Raleigh. Any feedback what would be easiest?



Also where would be worth spending a few days after his exam? We would love to see the traditional parts of the US but we are not planing on renting a car.



Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.



Many thanks in advance



North Carolina vacation


Hi Sandra,





It would be very difficult to do much sightseeing without a car. Public transportation is practically non-existent in NC, so I would strongly recommend renting a car.





I would suggest visiting either the mountains or the coast. Asheville or Boone/Blowing Rock in the mountains, or on the coast the Outer Banks or the Wilmington area. Of course, there are many other possibilities, but these would be the ones at the top of my list. But again, for all of these places you%26#39;ll definitely need a car.



North Carolina vacation


Sandra:





You can take the non-stop to Charlotte and then take Amtrak to Raleigh. However, I think that you will have to stay over in Charlotte to make the right connection on Amtrak.





Once in Raleigh, I will have to agree with Arbyunc that to see some of the wonderful sights in North Carolina (The Blue Ridge Mountains in the west, and the Outer banks and other shore resorts in the east) your will need a car. To drive on the other side of the road is not as bad as you think. It took me about 15 minutes to acclimate myself the first time I did it from Heathrow. Hope this helps and the exams turn out well.




I am flying to Dublin from Raleigh and back and the best connection I could get was a long layover at JFK. Best connectios are to Shannon, it seems.



Definitely rent a car and remember to drive on the right side of the road!If you go east, you will not have to worry about sheep in the road, but deer and racoons can be a problem. Both mountains and beach are readily accessible from Raleigh but I wouldn%26#39;t try to do both on the same trip. Have a greatt trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment