Thursday, April 26, 2012

Speedweek

We are driving down from Canada for the All Star and are staying at the Marroitt on West Harris Blvd. How far away from Tryon St. are we? I read on one of the websites that parking is a problem and Tow Away is enforced, Any suggestions?



Speedweek


I%26#39;m assuming you mean the Courtyard by Marriott on WT Harris Blvd. You are only a mile NW of Tryon.





Going North up Tryon (also know as Hwy 29) to the speedway, you will be about 6 or so miles, but race traffic delays can easily make it an hour if you don%26#39;t go early.





To get downtown from WT Harris usually takes me about 15 minutes, but with increased traffic I%26#39;d count on it taking around 30 minutes to be safe. I%26#39;ve been to the Speed Street festivities several times in uptown Charlotte, and you can usually find parking after business hours. There are several large parking decks and numerous surface lots.



Speedweek


Thanks for the quick reply.





You mention parking after business hours. Isn%26#39;t the best time to see the drivers during the day? How much do you think a cab would cost? (so we don%26#39;t have to worry about parking uptown.)





I read on the festival 600 website about a Lynx train. Is this something that we could take?





We love Charlotte and have gone to the past seven 600 races. This is the first time we are going for both May races. (We have gone to both the 600 and the October race the last two years) We rented a trailer for the 600 because we are aware of the traffic. You Southerners are great hosts! Thank You!




bump




Parking Friday during business hours will take patience to find, plus with some roads blocked downtown expect it to take a while. I haven%26#39;t gone during the day before, I usually go at night for the bands. The event schedule at http://www.600festival.com doesn%26#39;t really list events during the day, so I%26#39;m not sure what%26#39;s going on then.




As long as it doesn%26#39;t rain I%26#39;ll be a happy camper. I plan on getting to the activities at the crack of noon and leaving when I can%26#39;t walk anymore. 6 more sleeps before we leave!




I don%26#39;t see parking being too big of a problem for ya. I would get there early for speedstreet walk around have lunch make a day of it. tons of garages and parking lots around. as long as you don%26#39;t mind walking a bit! and if traffic is bad head for southend and ride the lynx train into town!




you are about 10 miles away from tryon street where speed week is being held. You can park at Stonewall parking lot (club ice) next to Westin for about $10 per day.

No comments:

Post a Comment