Friday, March 30, 2012

Warm enough to swim

It%26#39;s getting to be that time of year and I am seeing more and more people swimming in the ocean. According to Accuweather, the surf temperature is 75-degrees. That%26#39;s warm enough for me, I think I%26#39;ll take a dip today if I get a chance.

How warm does the water have to be before you go swimming?

Warm enough to swim

Hi Conniecat-

I thought I%26#39;d try to help in case you haven%26#39;t already tried to swim today. My husband and I were at Wrightsville Beach on Sunday and the water was FREEZING! If you%26#39;re one of those ';polar bear'; swimmers, it won%26#39;t be a problem, but if not, I%26#39;d wait a week or three.

Generally, it starts to be comfortable for swimming around Memorial Day weekend.

Hope this helped!

Tara

Warm enough to swim

I remember being about 10, and we spent Easter on TI, and I couldn%26#39;t STAND it-and went swimming!

It was COLD! But I was very proud of myself!


Connie, We%26#39;re going to arrive this weekend. I%26#39;m curious to know how cold your swim was!!!!

Izzie


According to this web site the water temp is around 71. I love to swim but 71 is a little too cool for me unless it was really hot outside then 71 would feel good.

weather.com/maps/activity/boatbeach/southeas鈥?/a>


Trust Me,Unless you are from Canada it might be bearable but it is still in the mid 60s and Jellybear dont hit it till its in the 70s and thats around Memorial Day.


Oh Connie, I agree, nothings better than a dip in the ocean to cool off after sitting in the sun or a walk on the beach!

Enjoy!


It certainly is brisk but once you are in for a few minutes, you get used to it. I didn%26#39;t really swim, I just played in the waves a little while. I did go in the Intracoastal Waterway kayaking last Thursday. That water is quite a bit warmer than the ocean water.


I actually went swimming on both Monday and Tuesday. I thought it was wonderful. Yes it was cold, but not as bad as Jersey Shore water in August. I went for a brisk 40 minute walk and then I was hot enough to go right in. Of course the first time you dive into a wave you go Wow that鈥檚 cold but then really in just a short time it feels great and the incessant wind is not blowing on you so it feels GREAT!!! :)

Funny, I said I went swimming, but on Monday the current was so strong, that I was backstroking against the current and moving nowhere.


I bet the water is warming up nice now, just in time for Memorial Day.


As of yesterday the water temperture is 72 degrees.Its getting there!

  • lock file
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment